Printfriendly

Buttered Stewed Potatoes!


I am not sure why I haven't posted this recipe before.  I guess it might be because it's so simple, it's not even really a recipe.  However, I kept getting questions about them, especially from younger cooks, whose grandmothers probably cooked these and they never asked what was in them.  

Growing up, these were my favorite potatoes, even more than mashed potatoes.  I just loved them and I still do.  When I was growing up and smelled these cooking, I knew supper would be so good.  Every now and then I would get fooled though, and what I thought were potatoes boiling, turned out to be buttered turnips!   Oh my gosh, that was disappointing. As I got older and was tall enough to actually see what was on the stove I knew better. 

There is no set recipe for these "Buttered Stewed Potatoes", but this is my recipe and it is just slightly different than my own mother makes them.  I add seasoned salt to mine at the end.  It just gives them such flavor. 

 Here is what you will need:

5-6 nice size potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 tsp. salt
4 Tbs. butter
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper


Place the diced potatoes in a large sauce pan.  I like to dice these in a large dice, not too small.   Cover the potatoes with water, about an inch above the potatoes.  Add the regular salt to the water.  Cover and bring to a boil.   Watch them, because they can boil over.  Turn to medium and cook for about 20 minutes or until fork tender.   Stick a fork in one and it should be soft.  Don't let them cook too long though, because you will have mashed potatoes.



Carefully drain most of the water off of the potatoes, but not all.  Leave about an inch or two in the pan.  The water blends with the butter to make a sauce of sorts.  Some drain all of the water, but then you have to use more butter and they just aren't as good to me.  Add the butter, pepper and seasoned salt to the pan and cover until the butter melts.  You do not need the heat on these at this point.  Just put the pan on the warm burner with the lid on it. 


With a large spoon, gently toss the potatoes until the butter and seasonings are distributed.



Serve immediately!!!  These are my go to potatoes when I am in a hurry and just want something good and fast!  They go with just about anything, but especially good with pinto beans, pork chops, meatloaf, salmon patties, you get the picture...lol.   They are just good down home food.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good and easy I will give it a try tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  2. To prevent boil-overs, place a wooden spoon across the top of the pot. When the bubbles touch the spoon handle they will subside. Do this with anything you are boiling.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest