Printfriendly

Mama's Potato Salad!


For me, potato salad sort of falls into the same category as meat loaf and cornbread, it seems basic and a lot of people make it, but it's something that people can really mess up for some reason.  When it's bad, it's usually way bad.  My mother, makes the best potato salad I have ever eaten, so I guess I am spoiled to hers.  I went and cooked with her yesterday to get the exact recipe and see what her 'secret' is.  I didn't get step by step pictures, mainly because my mother moves too fast, and also because it's actually pretty basic. 


 So here are the ingredients:
4-5 large baking potatoes or 8 cups diced (baked)
1/2 cup sweet onion like Vidalia
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup chopped pimento
4 eggs boiled
1 stick melted butter
1 1/2 cups Miracle Whip (if you must use mayonnaise, use mayonnaise)
2 tsp. yellow mustard
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper


First boil the eggs and let them cool, peel and chop them, bake the baking potatoes until they are done.  She bakes hers in the microwave.  When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and dice them. Chop the celery, onion, and pimento fairly fine...no big chunks.


  Place the eggs, potatoes, chopped celery, pimento, onion and relish in a large mixing bowl.  Pour the stick of melted butter over all. Add 1 1/2 cup Miracle Whip, if you are one of those people that has to use mayonnaise only, us it instead.  This is one of those things that really needs the Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise, but it's a matter of taste and what you like too.   This is one of the few things we use Miracle Whip in, instead of mayonnaise because it just makes it taste better.


  Add the mustard, sugar, salt and pepper and stir it up good.   You can sprinkle the top with some paprika for a little color or (this is my touch, not my mother's)  I use some Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning to dust the top for a little color and kick.



Mama's Potato Salad!    

2 comments:

  1. This IS my mama's potato salad, to a T! Even though I was raised in Washington State, my mom never stopped making it like they do in the South, where she grew up. I wish she were still here to make it for me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New to me. I have never used butter in potato salad...ever. Nor my Momma or Grandmother BB. Middle Georgia...on the Fall Line. I shall have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest