Printfriendly

Cheesy Sausage Dip!


We have been making this cheesy, spicy sausage dip in our family for...well, I don't even remember when we didn't make it.  My mother always made it, and then, me and my sister made it and now our kids make it!  I guess it's the family dip...lol. Don't all families have those couple of recipes or things they always have when they get together?   

This concoction is something I always made when my son was growing up and he had boys stay over or come home from school with him.  If there were very many and as they grew into very large boys, I had to double the recipe.  Some of those boys, who are now grown, still talk about the sausage dip when we see them.   The things that make memories for kids.   When it involved our house, it usually had to do with food or some crazy thing my husband did to them.  He has always been the worst kid in the house!  This is so easy, it's stupid and I mean that in a good way!   Here is what you need:

1 lb. roll of breakfast sausage ( I use Purnell's medium sausage)
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
1 8 oz. cream cheese (you can use light cream cheese)
1  10 oz. can of regular Rotel tomatoes

Crumble and brown the sausage in a skillet.  You can use mild sausage for less spice or hot for more.  I use Purnell's medium. I am very partial to Purnell's sausage and it is a Kentucky product, but you can use any sausage you like.



Drain the Rotel slightly and add to the pan.  At this point you can put the sausage in a slow cooker and add the other ingredients and cook on low.  The slow cooker is good to use if you taking this to a party because you can warm it back up and it will stay warm while you are there.   A skillet with a lid also works though.


Cube the Velveeta and cream cheese and add to the pan.



Cover and warm on low just until the cheeses are melted.  Stir to blend until smooth once they are soft and melty.  Make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom if you are not using a nonstick pan it could. 


Serve with tortilla chips or Fritos Scoops. This will disappear fast!








13 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites! I like to add a little green onion tops to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very good. I am going to add it to my Mouth Watering Mondays post later today. Come on over to see it at www.noshingwiththenolands.com Cheers, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I add fresh ground black pepper, garlic, and cumin and finely chopped onion. Also, a few slices of Jalapeno or Serano peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from South Texas and we like ours to have a little more flavor! Try adding fresh ground black pepper, 1/2 finely chopped onion, garlic powder and cumin to taste. Also, for awesome flavor and color, add a few slices of Jalapeno or Serrano peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make this but I use hot sausage and the mexican Velveeta cheese.Everyone loves it I also use a pound of ground beef.I brown my sausage and ground beef together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This similiar to our family fave but we also do a pound of ground beef and a can of cram of mushroom soup with roasted garlic in it by campbells i use this soup in many recipes its gooood! ! But we love this dip we call ours cowboy cheese dip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds really good!!! Great for any kind of party.. i would top with a little bit of sour cream and onions.. will make this recipe for sure:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very delicious dip! This is one dish my whole family enjoys. Great to make for parties, showers, holidays, family reunions, or for a simple family meal. Love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use italian sausage and it is yummy!¡

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a little similar to a recipe that I have called Mexican Mary. Only it calls for a few more ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is similar to a recipe I have called Mexican Mary. A few more ingredients are added. Mine is Hamburger & Sausage, Onion, Salsa, Velveeta, cream/mushrm soup, and Rorel/w chilies

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mine is similar, I use a can of cream of mushroom soup instead of the cream cheese...and I also use sausage & hamburger cooked together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use refried beans, sausage, salsa, Mexicana vel cheese, 4 oz cream cheese and sometime I even switch off the sausage for chicken.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest