Printfriendly

Cheeseburger Macaroni Bake!

  
 
My mother has been making this casserole for years and it  meets several key criteria for most busy families on a budget.   It's easy to make, you usually have all of the ingredients on hand, it's economical and kids love it...actually most everbody loves.  It takes a pound of ground beef and a box of macaroni and cheese and feeds a family.    This is the one time I don't complain about using the 'blue box' of mac and cheese...lol.  If you haven't read my post on my mission to bring back real southern macaroni and cheese, you don't get why I am saying this, so you might want to check it out here:  Traditional Southern Macaroni and Cheese!    This is all you will need for this dish!
 
 
1 lb. ground chuck
1 medium onion diced
1 box macaroni and cheese mix (Kraft is good for this)
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2  tsp. black pepper
1 can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
1/2 can water
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups crushed cornflake crumbs
1/2 stick butter, melted
 
 
Brown the ground chuck and the diced onion.  Drain the excess grease off.  Season with seasoned salt and black pepper.  Prepare the macaroni and cheese mix as directed on the package.  Add the soup and milk to the ground beef/onion mixture.  Stir in the mac and cheese.
 
 
aPour into a 2 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Sprinkle the top with the shredded cheddar cheese. Mix the melted butter with the crushed cornflake crumbs and then sprinkle over the top of the casserole.  Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until hot and bubbly and slightly browned on top.
 
Add a salad or green vegetable and bread and you have dinner! 



14 comments:

  1. As usual, this is wonderful looking! I've never heard of this but if you are using the blue box and I can use Cream of Chicken - no mushrooms are eaten by Mr. Picky-eater - then I am in! In fact, hopefully this will take care of his "hambuger helper" addiction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I gave that option of the cream of chicken because mine never liked the mushroom either and you can't really tell the difference. I hope they like it! My son always loved Hamburger Helper also, still does. :)

      Delete
  2. You have water in the list of ingredients and milk in the directions...which is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It Should be milk. I must have been half asleep when tried to write this up. I am sorry abou that.

      Delete
  3. I know you were tired, but in ingredients you said corn flakes, but in directions it says crushed crackers?? Also, have you tried Cream of celery with this?? It might be good too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for catching that...lol. I have fixed it. I usually do about three things at once. I am going to have to proofread a little better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trying this tonight... Which type of boxed mac and cheese do you recommend, the powder cheese or the "deluxe" with the creamy type cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would use the deluxe ....might be better

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm wondering for those of us who have to watch fat intake, if half the butter would be enough? I guess I can try it and see! Maybe it will if I mix it well with the crumbs before I put them on, so they are all coated well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. could you use some type of stuffing instead of the corn flakes?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheeseburger Mac is a favorite in our house. Awhile back I did not have any "regular" cheese, so I made mine with a jar of Dorito's Cheese Queso. It was delicious and so easy and creamy. You can now buy the Queso in a cheese only form if the kids do not like the spicy flavor of the regular kind. But we love the slightly spicy flavor. This beat "hamburger helpless" any day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds delish...and I'm glad I read the comments as I was also wondering about the milk vs. water issue....& you ppl have got to stop worrying about fat intake...I wish you could of heard the scientist last nite on coast to coast AM radio, all that was stated was already confirm by my genius BFF...to sum it up your brain needs cholesterol, it made of it. & the doc's numbers are set too low, to get you on pills, hence their money maker...the bottom line is fat is not the enemy but rather processed sugar ...but of course moderation is key to living well and don't forget your veggies...just stop freaking out about fat or definitely don't buy anything that say low fat, = sub it with either chemicals or sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! I make it but replace soup with tomato sauce.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest